Skip to main content

Pray with Purpose

This year I have had the mindset to be more purposeful with my prayer. My prayer life has had it's ups and downs as I'm sure most of us have, so I decided to get out of the mundane "Thank you God for...." and get deeper in and more in touch with God. There are a few things I am doing a little differently, and I have already seen how God is using me and blessing me through this experience.

For example, Facebook. Facebook can be a wonderful tool for connecting with family and friends. The main reason I joined several years ago was to be able to keep in touch with some dear friends of mine in Australia. It's wonderful to be able to see them and their families grow in almost real time! I miss them terribly, so it's a blessing to be able to communicate with them. But, as we all know Facebook can be very destructive. I decided that this year I will not participate in the negative aspect of Facebook, but I wanted to do more. I wanted to think of a way that I could use it for good, without being overbearing. It's funny how things hit you, but I was in the shower on New Year's day, and I came up with the idea of praying for each of my Facebook friends over the course of 2013. So, each day I take the first 2-3 names that pop up on my timeline and I pray for them. I pray for them and their walk with God. Some I know well enough to know what to pray specifically, and I am also very sad to say that I do not know what some people's convictions are. God knows, and I rely on Him and the Spirit to know their needs. It has been such a blessing to me. I have prayed for folks, sometimes not knowing they were going through a particularly rough patch in their lives such as sickness or death of a loved one, only to later find out they were struggling and prayers were so desperately needed. I shouldn't be surprised at all by this, nevertheless it is amazing and awe inspiring. The God we serve is truly awesome.

I hope this motivates some of you to stretch your prayer comfort zones a little and witness what a wonderful tool God has given us; the ability to talk to Him.

Feel free to share some of your prayer stories with me! I would love to read them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I get by with a little help from my friends

Ok, so I realize that I haven't posted in a while, and I have a pretty good excuse (other than the fact that I had a little lack of inspiration). Since some time last fall I have been very busy with our local community theater group and most recently our production of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice." My friend Truman chose this show as his directorial debut. I decided to sign on with him as assistant director since it was his first show and I knew this one would be an undertaking. Also, it just happens to be one of my all-time favorite stories. I have read the book and watched the movie countless times. (The 1995 BBC version, mind you. Colin Firth is Mr. Darcy!) I wanted to make sure it was done right! :) The show closed Saturday night, May 4th, and I must say this has been one of my favorite casts of which to be a part. Each show becomes a little family of sorts as you share this common experience. No one else can fully understand your bond, your jokes, etc. I

New Life

Spring Has Sprung! In this neck of the woods, Spring has officially arrived. It has been cooler this year than most recent years, but that has not stopped the buttercups from poking their little heads out and the dang Ornamental Bradford Pears from blooming (they KILL my allergies!!!). I love this time of year when life begins to show itself anew. Friday night was date night and I spent a little quality time with the husband. It has been so busy at our house since before Christmas, so we took the opportunity of the rare Friday night off and went to eat with some friends at John T's Barbecue in Winchester. If you live in this area, you should give them a try. We love the ribs! This was a weekend full of activity. Early Saturday morning, the husband and I traveled to Franklin Co. to purchase a couple of heifers to add to the herd. These young girls are so gentle! I stuck my hand in the trailer and the one on the right rubbed her nose all over my hand. Most cattle would run

So, where do I start?

I read a good bit online. Blogs, news, sports, recipes, so I thought why not add my look at life and humor to the plethora of information out there. The other blogs I read are all so interesting to me. They either inspire me to be a better person, or they let me know that I am not the only one out there who has thought that or struggled with something. If nothing else, I get a good laugh of them. I hope that I will be able to do any of that for someone as well. Now on to the thought for today. Today would be my grandmother's (my mother's mother) 98th birthday. She passed away in 2008 after falling and fracturing her hip. She had dementia and lived in a local care facility designed for those patients. But, up until her fall she was physically healthy. Probably healthier than most of us. She was an absolute hoot when she still had her mind, and even after it began to fail her, her sense of humor was still pretty strong. Randy and I got married about a year and a half before s