Skip to main content

I get by with a little help from my friends

Ok, so I realize that I haven't posted in a while, and I have a pretty good excuse (other than the fact that I had a little lack of inspiration). Since some time last fall I have been very busy with our local community theater group and most recently our production of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice." My friend Truman chose this show as his directorial debut. I decided to sign on with him as assistant director since it was his first show and I knew this one would be an undertaking. Also, it just happens to be one of my all-time favorite stories. I have read the book and watched the movie countless times. (The 1995 BBC version, mind you. Colin Firth is Mr. Darcy!) I wanted to make sure it was done right! :)

The show closed Saturday night, May 4th, and I must say this has been one of my favorite casts of which to be a part. Each show becomes a little family of sorts as you share this common experience. No one else can fully understand your bond, your jokes, etc. I very much enjoyed getting to know each actor, and I can't tell you how proud I was to watch them grow over the course of the rehearsals! We even had one fella who was so nervous at auditions that he just shut down. Truman gave him a non-speaking role to help get his feet wet, and man did he blossom right before our eyes! We had several other folks who had never done anything with us before, and it was such a blessing to be around them and be a part of their experiences. They inspired me and uplifted me. It's also fun to be around old friends as well. You sit around and tell stories and memories from past shows, almost like a family reunion.

I spent a lot of time backstage this show with hair, make-up and costuming. This, mind you, is not my usual area of expertise, but it allowed me to really bond with this cast. I enjoyed it immensely, especially the young people. I vowed a few years ago that I wouldn't work with a bunch of teenagers again due to all of their drama. We call it drama drama (get it????). Anyway, these guys and gals were an exception. For the most part they were very responsible and they all had a good work ethic. Their parents should be very, very proud of them. I am.

My theater friends are some of my best, and I always enjoy being around them. Each show just makes that circle of friends a little larger. Although the rehearsals were looonnngggggg, it was well worth it! Pride & Prejudice will go down as one my favorites.

Comments

  1. Great show, I really enjoyed it! Thanks for all your time and effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a true pleasure to work with you again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So, where do I start?

I read a good bit online. Blogs, news, sports, recipes, so I thought why not add my look at life and humor to the plethora of information out there. The other blogs I read are all so interesting to me. They either inspire me to be a better person, or they let me know that I am not the only one out there who has thought that or struggled with something. If nothing else, I get a good laugh of them. I hope that I will be able to do any of that for someone as well. Now on to the thought for today. Today would be my grandmother's (my mother's mother) 98th birthday. She passed away in 2008 after falling and fracturing her hip. She had dementia and lived in a local care facility designed for those patients. But, up until her fall she was physically healthy. Probably healthier than most of us. She was an absolute hoot when she still had her mind, and even after it began to fail her, her sense of humor was still pretty strong. Randy and I got married about a year and a half before s

Fabulous Friends

Fabulous Friends Family Most of you may know that I am a part of the Fabulous Fifties Show, a local production featuring music from 50's, 60's, and 70's with a skit thrown in to transition from one song to the other. It's a pretty big show with about 60 singers, actors, dancers, and band members, all of which are local talent. Each participant volunteers their time and talents, and there are many more volunteers that help with sound, staging, costuming, ticket taking, ushering, concessions, and many other things. It is truly a community event, as most of the county attends at least one of the 8 performances, along with people from all over middle Tennessee and northern Alabama. A few folks make trips from all over the country to attend! The proceeds from the show go to support cancer patients and their families. We just wrapped up 27th annual show this past Saturday. What most of you may not know is how much the show means to each of us who participate. Three ladie