Skip to main content

Mama said...

No wait! She didn't!

Ok, forgive me for just a moment because this post will digress at little from the previous ones. So, if you are looking for solely inspirational talk, you can stop reading right now :)

I want to thank my friends Sara and Rebecca, for the, let's say re-inspiration for this post. They brought the topic up on Twitter last week,sort of. I have always been one to write things in my head, or start and never finish, and this topic was one of such musings in the past.

When did I become a ma'am?

As children growing up in the South, we are taught to respect our elders. Yes ma'am, no sir are the normal around here. I didn't realize how abnormal that was until I did a little traveling. About ten years ago, I spent two and a half months in Australia with a friend of mine working with and supporting a church there. One gentleman I had the honor of getting to know while I was there, had been a young man during WWII. He was German and did not sympathize with the Hitler regime at all, so he went into hiding. He was tended to by a Dutch nurse, whom he later married. He was, upon first impression, very stern and gruff. The accent made him sound that way whether he was or not! So, I called him Mr. along with his surname. He looked at me with his gleaming eyes and said with that accent of his "Ha! Just Tom. Just call me Tom." I looked at him in shock. That went against every fiber in my being. We settled on Mr. Tom.

Somewhere along the way I have crossed over into being a ma'am. I'm not sure when it happened. Sometimes I understand how Mr. Tom felt, and think "I'm just Andrea! No need to ma'am or Mrs. me!" but then I remember that thankfully, these young people are being raised right, and their parents have taught them to respect people, just like mine taught me. So, begrudgingly, I accepted the ma'am.

How did that happen?

I only wish someone had told me that at least some of these things would follow the ma'am:

-When you reach a certain age you will most likely wet yourself if you do any of the following:
cough, run, jump, laugh, sneeze, etc.

-That one day you will look in the mirror just right and you will see a 2 inch whisker growing from your face. Seriously! How long has that been there and how many people saw it and never told me it was there?!?

-Not only is wetting your pants a problem, but apparently gas is too, and it can "slip" up without notice, and once again makes bending over, coughing, sneezing, etc. an adventure!

-Hot flashes are typically only thought of in women of the menopausal age, but hormones can rage up inside you at any age and cause a mini tropical vacation all your own. Or, as one of my co-workers also likes to put it, your inner child starts playing with matches.

-That it would literally hurt when you get out of bed some mornings, even if you didn't do an extreme workout the day before.

-You would see young people with the piercings, tattoos, Bieber hair, short skirts, loud music and cars etc. and think about how you can't believe kids these days :)  Seriously though, does that head-jerking hair swinging thing not get on your nerves!!!!!!

-One day you will look down while washing dishes, or folding laundry and see your mother's hands.....ok, so maybe that one's not so bad.

I am sure there are more, but I can't seem to remember them right now. What was I talking about anyway???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I get by with a little help from my friends

Ok, so I realize that I haven't posted in a while, and I have a pretty good excuse (other than the fact that I had a little lack of inspiration). Since some time last fall I have been very busy with our local community theater group and most recently our production of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice." My friend Truman chose this show as his directorial debut. I decided to sign on with him as assistant director since it was his first show and I knew this one would be an undertaking. Also, it just happens to be one of my all-time favorite stories. I have read the book and watched the movie countless times. (The 1995 BBC version, mind you. Colin Firth is Mr. Darcy!) I wanted to make sure it was done right! :) The show closed Saturday night, May 4th, and I must say this has been one of my favorite casts of which to be a part. Each show becomes a little family of sorts as you share this common experience. No one else can fully understand your bond, your jokes, etc. I

New Life

Spring Has Sprung! In this neck of the woods, Spring has officially arrived. It has been cooler this year than most recent years, but that has not stopped the buttercups from poking their little heads out and the dang Ornamental Bradford Pears from blooming (they KILL my allergies!!!). I love this time of year when life begins to show itself anew. Friday night was date night and I spent a little quality time with the husband. It has been so busy at our house since before Christmas, so we took the opportunity of the rare Friday night off and went to eat with some friends at John T's Barbecue in Winchester. If you live in this area, you should give them a try. We love the ribs! This was a weekend full of activity. Early Saturday morning, the husband and I traveled to Franklin Co. to purchase a couple of heifers to add to the herd. These young girls are so gentle! I stuck my hand in the trailer and the one on the right rubbed her nose all over my hand. Most cattle would run

So, where do I start?

I read a good bit online. Blogs, news, sports, recipes, so I thought why not add my look at life and humor to the plethora of information out there. The other blogs I read are all so interesting to me. They either inspire me to be a better person, or they let me know that I am not the only one out there who has thought that or struggled with something. If nothing else, I get a good laugh of them. I hope that I will be able to do any of that for someone as well. Now on to the thought for today. Today would be my grandmother's (my mother's mother) 98th birthday. She passed away in 2008 after falling and fracturing her hip. She had dementia and lived in a local care facility designed for those patients. But, up until her fall she was physically healthy. Probably healthier than most of us. She was an absolute hoot when she still had her mind, and even after it began to fail her, her sense of humor was still pretty strong. Randy and I got married about a year and a half before s